Saturday, June 9, 2012

Moosewood's Tunisian Vegetable Stew

Moosewood Cooks at Home has one of my favorite dishes of all time.  This stew has no meat, but is  filling because of the protein-laden chickpeas.  I'm generally not the biggest fan of veggies, but the tomato base and spices make this a dish I dig into.  As soon as you add the cinnamon you know the ingredients are all pulling together.  I've copied the recipe below from the International Vegetarian Union.  I leave out the raisins, but I don't doubt it's a great addition.  Some additional time simmering might be necessary and you will need a large pot to hold it all in.  I've previously substituted chicken stock for veggie stock when I don't have it on hand since I'm not a vegetarian.


Tunisian Vegetable Stew
from: Asha Dornfest 

1 1/2 c. thinly sliced onions(from Moosewood Cooks at Home)
  • 1/4 c. vegie stock
  • 3 c. thinly sliced cabbage
  • dash of salt
  • 1 large green pepper, cut into thin strips
  • 2 teaspoons ground coriander (has a mild, nutty taste)
  • 1/2 teaspoon turmeric (adds golden color)
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 28-oz can undrained chopped tomatoes
  • 1 16-oz can cooked chick peas/garbanzo beans
  • 1/3 cup raisins or currants (optional, but very good)
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Saute onions in stock for 5 minutes.Add cabbage, sprinkle with salt, saute for another 5 min.
Add bell pepper and spices to skillet, saute another minute.
Stir in tomatoes, chick peas and raisins, simmer covered for 15 minutes till vegies are tender.
Add lemon juice and salt to taste.
Serve on top of rice, couscous or other grain.

No comments:

Post a Comment